Wednesday 19 May 2010

Sutra & Babel @ Sadler's Wells

Sadler's Wells is my favourite theatre in London. I have been visiting regularly for years, from Zhang Yimou's Raise the Red Lantern performed by the National Ballet of China in 2003 to Antonio Gades' Carmen at the Spanish flamenco season in 2009, this is one of the best venues for dance/ cultural performances in the U.K. or possibly in Europe.

Last year, I saw Sutra for the 1st time and was really blown away. I saw it for the second time this year, although the impact wasn't as strong as the first, I was still completely captivated by the performance. It was one of the most memorable and inspiring show that I have seen in recent years.

Sutra is a collaboration between Flemish/ Moroccan choreographer Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, artist Antony Gormley and composer Szymon Brzóska. Together they worked with 17 Shaolin monks to create a unique, energetic yet spiritual performance. A combination of martial arts, dance, art and music, the show demonstrates that there is little barrier between these art forms, and creativity is key to it all. With a little help from some props: man-size wooden boxes designed by Gormley, audiences are transported to a different world. No words are spoken yet there is no need for it. Not only a feast for the eyes but also for the minds!

Recently, I went to see another Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui and Antony Gormley collabroation, Babel. Working together with co-choreographer Damien Jalet, the tone and style of this show is completely different from Sutra. Languages and multiculturalism are explored through 18 performers/ dancers (from 13 countries) and large rectangular aluminium frames (designed by Gormley) are used this time. Although funny and thought-provoking at times, I thought the show was a bit of a mishmesh, repetitive and stale. I was quite disappointed with this show esp. after Sutra, however, having said that, I still look forward to another 'Cherkaoui & Gormley' collaboration in the future because you just never know what is in store for the audiences. And I, as an audience, like to be surprised sometimes.

No comments: