Wednesday 12 May 2010

A new Britain?!

There is a Chinese proverb which roughly translates like this: 'There are no ever-lasting friends and there are no ever-lasting enemies.' This proverb is quite appropriate in describing the newly-formed British government. A week ago, they were enemies/ rivals and now they are acting like buddies/ best mates, who would have thought that before the election?!

I have never really been interested in politics but like many people in Britain, my interest/ concern grew over the last few months and I even voted for the first time in the general election (I have voted in the local election before). Before the election, I talked to many people and like me, they could not decide on which party/ who they wanted to vote for. Like the U.S. before their election, we also wanted things to change, yet nobody was sure if the other paries could deliver or make positive progress in the future. But unlike the U.S, we didn't have a strong candidate like Obama, Cameron wants to be like Obama or even Blair, but he lacks the charisma and is just not as convincing as them. I voted only to make sure that one party did not get a majority, I didn't vote because I believe in THAT particular party or leader and I know I am not the only one who behaved this way. I think the reason why Nick Clegg suddenly came into the spotlight was partly because people were desperate for an alternative or a fresh face... and he certainly has more charisma than Brown and Cameron.

Almost a week after the election, we finally have a new government formed by a two-party coalition. After watching the press conference on T.V., I am feeling surprisingly positive about the future because it is something 'new' and it is the huge change that we have been longing for. I think there will be difficult and unstable times ahead, but it seems like Cameron and Clegg both have the energy and determination to create something new. It is probably too early to judge or say what will happen, but at least this 'marriage' is providing us with a glimpse of hope and optimism (even if it is short-lived) in a rather uncertain period.

What will be interesting is to see if David (or Ed) Miliband succeeds Gordon Brown to be the next Labour party leader... if he does, then there will be three 'under 45' party leaders in power. Tony Blair was also under 45 when he became prime minister, so what does that tell us about our society and generation? Do we always prefer younger faces? I do feel quite sorry for Gordon Brown, not only does he lack charm but he also took office while it was in decline. I think Tony Blair beared a huge responsibility for a lot of problems that we are facing now but he had it easy and is earning so much from just giving lectures or making public appearances! What does it tell us about our society today? 1. life is unfair 2. Packaging and youth are crucial for survival in this day and age. It is sad but true...

No comments: