Monday 3 May 2010

Films 2010 (part1)

Since the beginning of the year, I have seen some excellent old and new releases in various cinemas and venues. Here are the memorable ones:

I am love (2009)
The storyline is nothing new but I came out of the cinema in a daze! I can't remember the last time I felt this way after viewing a film... this film managed to evoke something inside... sensuality? desire? Memories? Perhaps a mixture of everything. This is not a macho film, it's feminine, soft, beautiful, stylish and sensual, it's about feeling rather than thinking. Food plays an important part in this, while some may find it shallow, I experienced it as a journey of the senses. Do not try to analyse or rationalise it too much, just feel, I believe this IS the goal of the film.

Lourdes (2009)
I have to admit that I was not expecting much from this before entering the cinema but was so glad that I saw it. This is an excellent film directed by Jessica Hausner, a former assistant to Michael Haneke. Not only does it deal with an unusual topic ( faith, religion and miracle), it manages to stay objective and allows the viewerstointerpret the subject matter and ending according to their own wishes or opinions. Every frame is well-constructed with great use of colours, as well as top-notch permanances by Sylvie Testud and Elina Löwensohn. Thought-provoking, sensitive and unique, a very accomplished film.

Water (2005), free screening at Hampstead town hall
This is not a new release but I have never heard of this film before the screening. It was also my first visit to the Hampstead film society and was glad that I went. Directed by Indian/Canadian director, Deepa Mehta, this third part of a trilogy is set in India during the 1930s about the tragic lives of Indian/ Hindi widows. Due to the subject matter, the film had caused a lot of controversies and was banned in India until 2007. Despite the rather formulaic storyline, it is beautifully shot and deeply moving. The beautiful Lisa Ray is convincing as the vulnerable and tragic figure. The message here is strong, it challenges the old traditions and explores many social issues including discriminations and sexual abuse. A courageous and powerful film.

Play time (1967), free screening at Camden Arts Centre
I have actually never watched any Jacques Tati films before this screening. The free screening took place at the cafe inside the Camden Arts Centre, so we were all able to enjoy our coffees/ snacks at the same time. Great idea!
The film, I thought is funny, colourful, unusual, detailed and surreal. It must have been quite ground-breaking at the time because the storyline is thin with little dialogue yet it is visually rich and precise. It reminds me of the children books I had when I was a kid with 101 things going on and your eyes just can't rest for a minute. This is a film that needs more one viewing because there is so much going on and it's impossible to absorb everything in one go. This is probably not everyone's cup of tea esp. if you are used to the conventional narrative style of film-making, this may seem a bit pointless and odd. However, it film should be treated as an art piece, it is for observation and appreciation... not only it is skillful, it also reflects the society back then... the Bourgeois lifestyle and behaviour is depicted in a comical way, so subtle and clever!

Nightwatching (2007), + Q & A session with Peter Greenaway at ICA
This not-so-new Greenaway is only released here 2 years after it was made, how odd is that?! Well, Greenaway did explain the reason but I still find it hard to understand the distributors here. I guess 'profits' always comes before everything else, unlike the Europeans. I have not seen a Greenaway film for years, I think the last one I saw was 'The pillow book' back in 1996! When I was still an art student, Greenaway's films (together with Derek Jarman, David Lynch, Wim Wenders, Jim Jarmusch and John Waters) were on all our essential viewing list. Greenaway is an ART film-maker, so this film about Rembranbt is perfect for him. The scenes are staged to look like his paintings in terms of the colours, tones and mood. Most the signature Greenaway style is there: the theatre-like settings with some explicit scenes... Although it is closer to his older work, it is too long with too much dialogue (and a lot of foul words). The Q & A session afterwards was very entertaining simply because he is so eccentric and funny. He also showed us the new interactive project that he is working on, it seems like he is moving away from the conventional way of film-making, so it will be interesting to see his future projects.

L'Avventura (1960), BFI
I have seen a few of Antonioni's films including Blow-up and his later ones, though I have never seen this before. This is considered a ground-breaking film at the time and I can see why. It is beautifully shot, slow-paced and emotionally distant yet it is mesmerizing and memorable. Most of the characters are flawed, living empty and shallow lives, with an exception of (the beautiful) Claudia who seems more genuine than the others (probably because she is not from the same Bourgeois background). In many ways, this reminds me of Bergman's films... the use of beautiful nature settings, isolation and loneliness and most of all, the complexity of human psychology and dysfunctional relationships.

Je veux voir (2008), Palestian film festival at the Barbican Centre
I didn't read much about this and so I didn't know what to expect from it before the viewing. The film probably attracts because of Catherine Deneuve and she is on screen throughout the entire film. It is a documentary-like film with Deneuve (playing herself) visiting the war-torn parts of Lebanon. While she is being driven around by a local, nothing much really happens, but the dialogue and scenery is enough for us to meditate on. I thought the ending is a bit awkward but overall, it is a very subtle and thought-provoking film.

My heart beats only for her (2008), Palestian film festival at the Barbican Centre + Q & A session with director
I found it hard to fully appreciate this film/ documentary, perhaps because I am not so familiar with the subject matter, so the Q & A session was useful and informative. Set in Hanoi, Dubai and Beirut, the film interviews a few people and explores their political, revolution and economic views. The film is not told in a direct format, it is almost like a montage and sometimes a bit hard to follow. I struggled to relate or feel much towards this documentary but it probably means more to those affected by the issues.

No comments: