Tuesday 19 January 2010

Films & documentaries 2009

I love films and documentaries but I am not a fan of Hollywood blockbusters, the films I watch are usually not very mainstream. I find many of the Hollywood films shallow, unrealistic and predictable. Luckily, more independent and foreign films are being acknowledged and appreciated worldwide in recent years, which I think is a healthier sign for the film industry.

Since I am not a professtional film critic, I did not manage to see all the critically acclaimed films in 2009 like Coen brother's A serious man, Von Trier’s Antichrist (which doesn't appeal to me very much), Fish Tank, The prophet, Still walking and The class etc. But hopefully I will get a chance to watch them when they are out on DVD... Here are the ones I did manage to see either in cinemas, on TV/DVD and inflight entertainment...

My favourite 2009 film:

Up
I didn't know what to expect from this animation, but given Pixar's track record, I knew it would be pretty good. Actually it turned out to be my favourite film of the year! It is delightful, emotional and inspirational, it really should have won the Best Film category at the Oscars!

The good:

Let the right one in (2008) - I got free tickets to see this rather odd Swedish Vampire film and was pleasantly surprised by it. It is quirky, original, atmospheric and well acted. This is so much better than Twilight, I just hope that Hollywood will not do a remake on this!

The white ribbon - An ambitious film by Michael Haneke, and quite different from his previous work like Cache, La Pianiste and Funny games. This film is subtle, thought-provoking and it reminds me of 'To kill a mockingbird' or films made decades ago about moral issues and social injustices. It's rare to see a film like this nowadays, the acting, directing and cinematography are all superb. A truly remarkable achievement.

Departures (2008) - This Oscar-winning Japanese film deals with a subject that is still quite a taboo - death, even though it is something that happens around us everyday. The Japanese's professionalism and perfectionism are clearly demonstrated in this film, and even though the subject matter is serious, the direcor managed to add humour into it without making it look silly or disrespectful. Masahiro Motoki is very good in this but I feel that Ryoko Hirosue is a miscast, her acting is quite weak compare to the rest of the cast. However, this is only a minor issue and doesn't affect the overall quality of the film.

500 days of summer - Everyone was raving about this film over the summer period, but I didn't manage to see it until autumn. I wasn't expecting much but to my surprise, I really enjoyed it. It is light, refreshing and very 'now'... the story is simple but told in a rather 'non-Hollywood' style. The plot and acting are convincing, and it shows what modern relationships are really like, which sadly most of us have probably been through at some point in our lives. Hollywood should realise that their audiences no longer want to see 'fairy tale' style romantic comedies, it is films like this that really connects with the audiences.

Is anybody there? (2008) - I actually watched this on a long-haul flight and was rather touched by it! Very well acted by the entire cast and a faultless performance by Michael Caine. A British film that deals with aging, death and dysfunctional family may sound a bit grim, it is actually well-handled without being too sentimental nor depressing. It is probably not a film that will change your life, but it is a quality film about life and death.

Broken embraces - Pedro Almodóvar is one of those directors who keeps evolving and maturing over time. Many of the Almodóvar elements are still here, i.e. the bright colours, glamour, passion and dark secrets... Penelope Cruz really shines in this, partly because she is much more natural acting in Spanish. Almodóvar's style is one of a kind and he is a very good story-teller, although this is not his most creative, it is his most mature film to date.

24 City (2008) - A documentary-style film directed by the 6th generation of Chinese director, Zhang Ke Jia. This film gives us a glimpse of how China has changed over the past few decades through a group of factory (420) workers. It is well-paced, calm and insightful, personally, I think it is better than his critically acclaimed 'Still living'. Zhang is one of the most interesting young Chinese directors at the moment, I just hope that fame will not turn him into another Zhang Yimou!

Slumdog millionaire (2008) - Need I say more about this? I have always liked Danny Boyle's work, but unlike most people, this is not my favourite, I still think Trainspotting and Shallow grave were his best work. Cinematography is his strength, as we can see in this colourful and vibrant film set in India. At the end of day, this is a fairy tale with an unlikely hero... it is more mainstream than his previous work but the acting, directing, editing and cinematography are all excellent. I am not sure about all the Oscars but if you compare this to Titanic, then it definitely deserved the recognition it received.

Cloud 9 (2008) - This film really surprised me! Not only the plot is unusual, the acting is just superb. It feels raw and real. Probably like many in the cinema, the sex scenes did make me cringe at first, but I got over it pretty quickly. The point is not about the sex, it is about aging, emotions, dreams, family, romance and our society today... Is it ever too late to fall in love? Is responsibility more important than our feelings? What are the consequences when we put our self-interest before everything else? A thought-provoking and genuine film.

Grey gardens (TV film)
Despite being a T.V. film, this is a high quality one rather than a cheesy Danielle Steel one. I watched the original documentary about 3 years ago and found it rather depressing. This film provides viewers with a bit more background information on the relationship between Little Edie and Big Edie and it answers a lot of the questions raised from the original documentary. The performances are almost faultless, both Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange are convincing as the eccentric and tragic characters. It definitely makes me want to re-watch the documentary again...

The moon inside you (Documentary)
A very interesting documentary that deals with a still taboo subject, menstration. I attended the screening with a director's Q & A session, and it surprised me so much by the difficulties she faced when trying to get the documentary shown or distributed. The film shows how ignorant and insane some people are... including a famous doctor in South America... shocking and fascinating.

Kim Jong Il's Comedy Club (Documentary)
Unlike Kimjongilia (see below), this Danish documentary adopted a lighter and more unusual approach to reveal the society under the rule of Kim Jong Il. The film follows a Danish film-maker and two South Koreans/ Danish comedians who were granted permission to perform at the National theatre. It is refreshing and informative in a rather amusing manner and it depicts the way things work in their society esp. when it comes to dealing with disabled people. An insightful but humourous documentary that is deeper than it sounds.

Not bad:

Avatar - Need I say more? Technically and visually spectacular, the storyline is very 'now' and carries important messages. However, I am disappointed by some of the cliches in the film, although I haven't seen the Hurt Locker, I am just glad that this didn't sweep all the major awards at the Oscars.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008) - Not Woody Allen's best, but it is much better than his other recent films. I find Scarlett Johansson over-rated and annoying, Penelope Cruz is good but not sure about the Oscar. I rather like Rebecca Hall's subtle performance. Not exactly a deep film, but at least it is light and entertaining.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) - I think Cate Blanchett is one of the most versatile and balanced actresses in Hollywood today. She shines in almost all her roles and this is no exception. Honestly, I don't think Brad Pitt can act, but he is not bad in this one. This is a romance/ fantasy, though not very deep; it is much more engaging than 'The time traveler's wife'.

Accident - I watched this on the plane without much expectation because I was kinda bored of the H.K. crime thrillers! But then I became quite intrigued by the rather unusual plot after the first 10 mins. The storyline is flawed but the overall standard of production is high esp. with the score and cinematography. The acting is subtle but quite powerful, since it's produced by Johnnie To, the film does resembles some of To's films like 'The Mission' and 'Exiled'. Despite the disappointing ending, it is a stylish and dark H.K. crime thriller.

An education - It's hard to dislike this film, it's about dreams, rebellion, love and life. The storyline is quite predictable but Carey Mulligan delivered a strong and convincing performance, probably not Oscar-winning but excellent given her age and experiences. Finally, we are not stuck with just Keira and Sienna...

35 shots of rum (2008)
A homage to Ozu, Claire Denis' slow, meditative and sensitive approach may not everyone's cup of tea. The film focuses on an intimate (almost too intimate) relationship between a father and his daughter, there's little dialogue and nothing much happens. Nonetheless, it is a well-crafted and detailed film, but you need to be in the right mood to watch this, otherwise, it might just send you to sleep.

Soloist:
Despite the mixed reviews from critcs, I rather enjoyed this. I don't think it is a mainstream Hollywood film, which probably explains why it didn't do THAT well at the box office, even with stars like Robert Downey Jr and Jamie Foxx in it. The two actors gave solid and convincing performances throughout and the film shows a very different side of L.A., it's far from the glitzy and glamour of Hollywood but probably a more realistic one. I think this film should have received more recognition than it did.

Picture me: A model's diary (Documentary)
A documentary on the seedy side of the fashion industry made by model, Sara Ziff and her then boyfriend. This should be shown to all the young girls who aspire to become the new Kate Moss. Since I have attended and worked backstage at fashion shows, I am not surprised by the stories and am glad that I got out of the industry before it drove me insane. I don't think the industry will change just because of this but it's essential for the public to know the reality behind the glamour and glitz.

The September issue (Documentary)
Is this Anna Wintour's response/ defence to 'The devil wears Prada'? How much of the 'real' Anna do we see in this? I think 'real' moments were when she talked about her siblings and when she interacted with her daughter. But the person who really shines in this documentary is Grace Coddington... she seems like a genuine person who is passionate about her work rather than for the fame/ego and money and that is very rare in the articial world of fashion.

Objectified (Documentary)
An insightful documentary on product designs today. It is not exactly cutting-edge, but it is about our society today and the products we use everyday. The part where Jonathan Ive explains his 'Apple' design process is particular interesting.

Mixed:

Inglourious Basterds - Tarantino has proved that he is good at spotting talents and creating 'fusion' films. The best things about this film are 1. Christoph Waltz and 2. Most of the European casts (although I think that Daniel Bruhl was a bit 'wasted' in this). Brad Pitt has proved that he really can't act and honestly, the extreme violence was quite unneccessary. It is a very Tarantino film, but definitely not one of his best...

The headless woman (2008)
Lucrecia Martel's newest film received great reviews from the critics, but personally, I have very mixed feelings about this film. Like her other film, 'La ciénaga', this film subtly reveals issues like family dysfunctionality and class systems in Argentina today, as well as a dark and forgotten history. I understand the director's intentional detached approach, and I think she has succeeded in conveying the confused, distant and dreamlike state that the main character was experiencing. We, as audiences, were constantly trying to figure out who is related to who and what really did happen. It's not just a hit-and-run film, it deals with a lot of deeper social issues but it is not an easy film to like or digest after just one viewing.

Two lovers (2008)
A rather dark and complex love story where Joaquin Phoenix (before he gained weight, grew a beard and turned into a rapper!) is torn between 2 women. There is nothing ground-breaking but the acting is good and consistent throughout. I usually find Gwyneth Paltrow irritating but she is well-casted in this. I hope that Joanquin will end his 'hoax' and start acting again, it will be a shame if he quits for good!

Overheard - A Hong Kong cop thriller that is a bit different from the usual triad theme. The concept is interesting and the acting not bad, but the ending is feeble and mediocre. A bit of an anticlimax.

In the loop - I can't figure out whether I like this political drama/ comedy or not, on one hand, it is brave with very dry British humour, on the other hand, it is also harsh (very in your face) with almost unbelievable characters. The film deals with a very sensitive issue and makes a mockery of the both the US & British governments and politicians. Like it or not, it is definitely one of a kind...

Claustrophobia (2008) - I was quite looking forward to seeing this Hong Kong romance but was left a bit disappointed. The backward sequence style is nothing new but it is not the issue. My problem is with Karena Lam's character, Pearl... I find it hard to sympathise/ feel for her, her sensitivity just gets on my nerves! I don't mind the subtlety and non-verbal moments, but I didn't feel emotionally engaged and wasn't even concerned with whether the affair took place or not because I felt detached throughout. Not a bad effort by the 1st time H.K. director/ script writer, but there is definitely room for improvement.

The Young Victoria - I know that many people like this film, but for some reason, I don't have much feeling towards it. The sets, wardrobe and performances are fine but it just seems rather straight-forward and dull.

Three Monkeys (2008) - Although the Turkish director, Nuri Bilge Ceylan won the best director award at Cannes 2008, I find it hard to like or digest this film. It is atmospheric, subtle, tragic and slow-paced, but I felt quite detached throughout. Although technically brilliant and performances excellent, it didn not move me, unlike his last film, 'Climates', which I thought was excellent and emotionally-engaging.

If you are the one (2008) - This romance about a middle-age man looking for love was a big hit in China. It is sensitive and funny at times with good performances from both of the leads, but I feel that something is missing... Perhaps it tries too hard, at times it just seems a bit awkward.

Coco avant Chanel - A rather flat and safe biopic of an intriguing, unconventional and revoluntionary character. The film completely misses the target, although it is not a bad film, it's just a bit dull and shallow. Audrey Tautou's performance is decent but nowhere near the amazing portrial of Edith Piaf by Marion Cotillard 2 years ago. It is a bit unfair to compare the two but it's also hard not to... it's probably best to read the biography if you want to know the real Coco Chanel.

Il Divo (2008) - I know the critics love this slick Italian political film, but I can't help thinking that it is rather over hyped. Perhaps it is due to my lack of knowledge in the Italian political world, but even after talking to my Italian friend about it, I still felt that something was lacking for me. It is stylish, cool, controlled and ambitious, but I also found it a bit pretentious. After watching 'The Consequences of Love', I realised that it is Sorrentino's cold and rather detached style of direction that bothers me. Perhaps I need to view more of work to be convinced...

Amalfi
This is a Japanese thriller set in Italy about a kidnapping case, yet it feels more like an Italian tourism promotion for the Japanese market. Beautiful setting with a rather unconvincing storyline, but the two leads kept me in my seat (I was on a long-haul flight)! I never used to like Yûji Oda esp. when he did 'Tokyo love story' (a popular Japanese comic/TV series), but he has aged quite well and looks good as a cool and serious diplomat. Yuki Amami is convincing as a desperate single mother and the fact that the writer didn't add a cheesy love story earned it some extra credit.

The age of stupid (Documentary)
This documentary deals with the most talked-about issue of our time: climate change. The film gives a lot of evidence to support climate change and it does contain some thought-provoking information. Although I believe that climate change is man-made and is threatening us and our planet, I can't help but feel that politicians and many others are using this as a propaganda tool. Who is telling the truth and who isn't? Who is secretly profiting from manupulating the public? It's so hard to tell in this day and age...

Kimjongilia (Documentary)
I watched this documentary at a film festival and found it rather disturbing and depressing. The director interviewed many North Koreans who escaped from the regime yet paid huge prices (not just in terms of money) as consequences. The stories are emotional, sad and disturbing and they make you feel fortunate to be able to enjoy freedom, democracy and human rights etc. The film is well made and edited, however, it is very straight-forward and biased, it does not leave room for the viewers to judge or think for themselves. Perhaps the director was strongly affected by the stories told but is this good documentary-making? I have my doubts...

Disappointing:

Public enemies - I think Michael Mann is a good director, but this is another disappointment after Miami Vice. Johnny Depp looks cool (he hasn't looked 'normal' for quite a while!), but the film is just so-so and not outstanding. Christian Bale and Marion Cotillard are wasted in this, such a shame!

The Time Traveler's Wife - This film just didn't do it for me, I wasn't moved at all! And what a waste of Eric Bana!

Visage/ Face - Tsai Ming-liang's latest film is beautifully shot with an impressive cast. There are some memorable scenes, but on the whole, it is inconsistent, pretentious and self-indulgent. It just shows that bigger budgets do not necessarily create better films, he has made much better films with lower budgets.

Duplicity - I like Clive Owen and I thought he and Julia Roberts worked well together in Closer, but this film is too confusing, unconvincing and superficial. There are many 'smart' dialogues, twists and turns and intimate scenes, it is fine as a 'popcorn movie' but do not expect more from it. And personally I think Julia Roberts has lost some of her charm since she became a mother!

Red Cliff (2008) - Very disappointing despite all the big names attached to this! There are just too many unnecessary sentimental cliches (Mr Woo's favourite) and some of the dialogues are just cheesy and silly. If you are a guy and only want to watch battle/ fight scenes, then maybe this is for you, but otherwise there is not much else...

No comments: