Friday 13 August 2010

Thich Nhat Hanh

A few years ago, when I was going through a very difficult and distraught period, I came across a name, Thich Nhat Hanh, the well-respected Zen Buddhist master of our generation. At the beginning, I couldn't even pronounce his name properly but I bought his books hoping to find some inner peace. Only later did I realised that it was probably the turning point of my life and nothing would ever be the same again.

I have always believed that 'things happen for a reason' and 'people come into our lives not by chance', so I see my encounter with Buddhism as a 'revelation' or my 'path'. It was through 'Thay's' (meaning Master in Vietnamese) books that I learnt to forgive, to make peace with myself and appreciate what I have.

This week, I went to see the Master at Hammersmith Apollo and was glad to see the venue packed with people of all ages. The evening started off with a short period of sitting meditation which allowed my mind and body to calm down before the talk. Just as I expected, 'Thay' is calm, gentle and has an amazing presence, his talk on mindfulness aims to incorporate into our daily lives, regardless of religions and backgrounds. The best part of the evening was the Q & A session because he answered every question with patience, clarity and humour. I love the way he traced the origin of bread and related it back to the cosmos!

A talk full of insights and wisdom, and you don't need to be a Buddhist to understand his teachings. It is all about awareness, being mindful of the present moment, of our actions, words and their impact on others. As he mentioned in the talk, one Buddha is not enough, we all need to be less selfish and care more about the future of humanity and our planet.

Recommendated books: Peace is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life and The Art of Power

No comments: