Tuesday 22 June 2010

London Architecture festival: Hampstead walk (modern architecture)


66 Frognal House

Due to my travels, I am unable to attend many interesting events oraganised by the London Architecture festival, but I really enjoyed the free Hampstead walk led by architect Tim Bruce-Dick. The tour was relatively short but we were given a map with information and an article on modern architecture. Even though I live nearby, I had no idea there are so many hidden gems in the area, so it was quite a revelation to me esp. the Branch Hill housing estate (due to refurbishment, I couldn't take photos but will definitely pay another visit in the future).

I became more interested in my local area in the past 2 years, paying more attention to the architecture and activities that go on in the local communities. Usually we take the same route home everyday and we never notice or SEE what is around us, so occasionally I would take an alternative route just to explore the area a bit more. If we do this more, we would then notice the roses across the street, the huge tree at the end of the road or the church that we never took notice of... Sometimes, we have to take alternative routes to see things properly from a different angle!


The Priory by Rick Mather (1997)



6 1/2 Redington Road by John McAslan and Partners (2007)


House on Redington Road by Richard Webb



66 Frognal house by Connell Ward & Lucas (1938), restored by Avanti to orginal colours in 2005



Sun House by Maxwell Fry (1935)



Blackburn house by Chassay Wright (1987)


Michael Hopkins house, a glass house hidden behind the bushes on Downshire Hill (1975)


A house by John Winter on Belsize Lane/ Ornan Road (1971)

Other interesting architecture in the area:












St John's Downshire Hill (1823)


Old fire station in Lancaster Grove (1915)

No comments: