Wednesday 16 September 2009

English gardens, flowers & landscape (summer 09)


Primrose Hill, one of my favourite spots in London


English summer weather can be quite unpredictable, esp. this year! Not sure if it's due to global warming, but it's hard to know what to wear everyday because the temperatures fluctuate so much. Usually I would carry a small umbrella, a pair of sunglasses, a scarf and a cardigan just in case the weather changes suddenly. When we did get hot sunny days, everyone was out... including people who were not supposed to be, unfortunately/ fortunately (for employers) those days were short lived. But now at end of September, the sunny days are suddenly back again... what is going on?!

I used to have little interest in gardening (except for when I tried to grow tomatoes as a kid), but this year I was determined to give it a go and I surprised myself by how much I enjoy it (a sign of aging, I guess). But it is the tranquility that I love, I didn't realise how soothing it can be, it's a bit like meditation! Now I have a small herb garden with rosemary, lemon thyme, parsley, mint, and some summer flowers, it will be sad to see them wilt when winter arrives... Apart from my attempt at gardening, I also went to the Chelsea Flower show, Kew Gardens and spent weekends in the beautiful countryside... This year has been my 'greenest' summer yet, and already I am looking forward to the next one!!


Chelsea flower show, May






Kew Gardens, June












Hampshire, July


Ruins of Wolvesey Castle (Old Bishop's Palace)


Winchester Cathedral



Mottisfont Abbey and garden





Cute fire station and cottage!




Lovely lavender fields & cafe...


Buckingham palace & garden, August






Suffolk, September




Windmill


Flowers, flowers and more flowers...













Weird plant...

No comments: