Tuesday 2 December 2008

Michelin guide (Hong Kong)

The new Hong Kong and Macau Michelin guide has caused quite a stir in Hong Kong. Some people are thrilled, others are skeptical. In general, Cantonese/Hong Kong people prefer affordable local dishes such as wonton noodles and fish ball ho fan, high-end Chinese cuisine is quite out of reach for many locals. However, many restaurants on the list are inside 4/5 star-hotels, and they are all pretty pricey. Many skeptics don't trust the French's judgments on Chinese cuisine and I don't blame them. But then again, Michelin never judges on just the food, usually service, ambience and wine lists are all taken into considerations. Whether we agree or not, we have to admire Michelin's marketing skills, since many diners around the world still treat their guides as bibles (just look at their fans in Japan). Chefs have committed suicide when their Michelin stars were taken away, so Michelin is still very influential in the restaurant world today.

I don't reside in Hong Kong anymore, but I do visit regularly and would try out different restaurants each time. Looking at the H.K. list, I was shocked to see Lung King Heen being awarded three stars. I tried the restaurant with some friends about 2 years ago but didn't find it particularly special.

Others that I have been to are: 2 stars- Summer Palace, Shang Palace and T'ang Court (it's actually quite good). 1 star - Fook Lam Moon, Hutong (I prefer their original and cheaper branch, Water Margin, but I guess this has better views and ambience), Shanghai Garden (my mum's favourite) and Yung Kee (has been my dad's canteen for about 20 years). I am surprised not to see any Italian nor Japanese on the list, and it seems that most Chinese restaurants on the list are Cantonese except for 2.

I don't think we should take this list too seriously, accurate or not, Michelin has already caused enough publicity. I doubt most H.K. people would agree on their choices of restaurants, but as long as it can boost the economy and tourism, I am sure they are not going to be too upset after all.

No comments: